Monday, January 28, 2008

Tribute to God and to Alvin

I wrote an article for my church weekly this week. it was published and thanks be to God, many were encouraged. :) Amen. :) Glory goes to God coz He gave me the words to write. anyways, here it is.



I have a friend, Alvin. I knew him from the Army and when I knew him, I got to know he was a backslider. Seeing how the rest of my army friends would ostracise him because he was a bit weird made me make a commitment to God to reach out to him. It was during one of those normal boring guard duties that I took the chance to dig deep and ask him more about his life. It was interesting how he was open as he shared about how he became a Christian and why, due to some conflict with people, stopped attending church. I guess it was either me taking interest in his life or just the chance to share with someone but we hit it off pretty well and I told God that I'll work on bringing him back to Christ.

Amazingly, we were posted to the same workshop and although most pitied me for ending up with him for the rest of my army life, I saw it as a confirmation from God that He wanted me to specifically talk to Alvin about Christ. Over the months, I reached out to him constantly and poked him time and time again about church going. He promised to try his old church again and he did. Occasionally, he'd stop going because of other commitments but I was glad that there was some progress. Over time, we tried starting a prayer meeting in the workshop but apart from Alvin, most weren't too interested in giving up their break time to meet and pray together. Interestingly enough, Alvin and I had some mutual friends whom he had known from Poly and Poly Christian Fellowship. As I spoke to them, I found out that the Christian Fellowship didn't know how to talk to him or reach out to him and actually gave up on trying. It was amazing how God put him into my life so that His work would not be stopped or done in vain. I viewed that as yet another compelling evidence to never give up with Alvin. Outside of work time, Alvin and I would also go and chill out or have a meal together since his girlfriend's place was close to mine. I really enjoyed the fact that God was allowing me this chance to watch a brother grow in his faith and inch closer and closer to the Lord.

However, November 2007, due to a review in his medical status, he was posted out of the workshop to become a storeman in our HQ, Jurong Camp. I personally was taken aback at the sudden re-posting and was disheartened that I had lost a good friend. I didn't let distance stop me from maintaining a good friendship with Alvin and whenever I went to Jurong Camp, looking him up for lunch was a habit. I enjoyed his company and the laughs he brought but he also represented a sense of achievement and accomplishment as I saw how he came back to Christ.

Last Saturday, I got a call from his girlfriend at about 1plus. It was simple, straightforward and unforgettable. “Joel, I don't know who else to call. Alvin met with an bike accident and has passed away.” I stood there in my room stunned as my brain slowly took it all in. My knees buckled and I crumpled to the floor. He has just recently obtained his bike license and I used to joke about how dangerous he would be on the road. Suddenly, it wasn't that funny a joke anymore. In that matter of seconds my whole weekend and life changed. My friend had just died and I couldn't do anything about it. My mind slowly soaked up the details and information as internally, I didn't want to believe it.

I dropped all my commitments, save church, to be there for his girlfriend and family. It took a lot from me and even now, a week after his passing, I still find it hard when I think of my dear friend. However, what I want to say is that if I had ignored God's soft prompting to reach out to him, if I had done the logical thing and mocked him along with my fellow friends, I would be living in regret and guilt now. Brethren, what I can say is that God works in impossibly mysterious ways and although I miss him from time to time, I am so glad I will see Alvin once more in heaven. I hope that all of us take this as an opportunity to re-look those we know who need the Lord. Don't ignore a prompting if God has given it to you because we never know how long we have on this earth with these friends. A burden given by the Lord has a reason and we might not understand it, all He asks is that we obey the still small voice. I started this article with 'I have a friend' and not 'I had a friend' because I know that one day, I'll see him in heaven again and he will always be my friend. I pray you will see your friends there too.

In memory of my dear friend and brother in Christ, Alvin Ho.

0 comments: