Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Faith That Works! Belgrave Heights Convention Testimony

So I wrote up a testimony for the OCF website... thot i'd plonk it here too since i DID sau i'll do a writeup... :)

Faith That Works

 

Indeed, this year's Belgrave Heights Convention theme was an assurance and a challenge at the same time. Assuring us that our faith produces works and that having the integrity and wisdom to match our actions with our words was truly something to think about as we spent close to 4 days and 3 nights up in cold but comfortable Belgrave Heights. Speaking from the Word of Proverbs and 2 Corinthians, our two God-inspired speakers Jonathan Lamb and Vaughan Roberts gave us insights and teachings from the Bible that puts our faith to the test.

 

Being a new comer to Belgrave, I was initially uncertain on whether the time spent up in Belgrave was going to be just one of fun and games with a few messages thrown in. However, I was greatly encouraged by the Word and devotions that we had undertaken as part of our time spent with Christian brothers and sisters. Honestly, one cannot ignore the fact that a lot of the reason why we, as OCFers, enjoy and look forward to Belgrave is due to the awesome and endless fellowship opportunities we have with each other. However, one can also not ignore the intense and yet bite-sized teachings we received. Having 8 teaching sermons over an average of 3 days was interestingly very easy to swallow.

 

One particular sermon that really spoke to me and challenged me was the Taming the Tongue message. I shared with the discussion group I was in that it really made me re-think a lot of the things I say and to always season my lips with salt, of course not literally that is, but to ensure that the words that leave my mouth are one to build up and not to tear down others. Even in the flippant joke, one may cause hurt that have far implicating effects that can stay with a person for a long time. The group shared about past experiences which still remain in our minds and also times we have encouraged and built up others. It's so easy to encourage and build up others, it barely costs us anything but it is as easy to tear down and discourage someone as well. With that said and done, the other sermon messages were so helpful in also picking out Wisdom-filled truths from Proverbs and also living Christian lives of integrity from 2 Corinthians.

 

I would highly encourage anyone to go for Belgrave when it swings by again next year. One thing I have regretted in these past 2+ years in OCF... Only going for Belgrave Heights Convention this year. However, don't trust me on how awesome the short camp was, go and ask others. Believe me, they will all say the same. Why? Because especially in this aspect, I have full confidence to say that I have Faith That Works!

0 comments: